When thinking about starting your frozen yogurt shop make sure you take into account the direction you want your shop to go in the future. Planning ahead will help solidify the direct you as your business matures. A good example of this is Menchie’s, one of the biggest frozen yogurt franchises internationally. Their business goal is to become the “McDonald’s of frozen yogurt.” In order to achieve this they have focused on making their stores a fun place to be. To further this goal Menchie’s has gone through software development to produce a free app-style game that customers can play on their mobile phones. They also convey their playful attitude by nodding to a popular California ad campaign that claims that California is the home for happy cows. They allude to this ad by stating that they offer quality, service and yogurt made only from happy cows from California. Being a Los Angeles based company this especially appeals to the local community.
Use Menchie’s business model as an inspiration to get creative with your shop. Your concept is simple. Customer’s grab a cup, pick their favorite flavors and toppings and create their own dessert concoction. They then, walk up to the froyo point of sale, put the cup on the scale and swipe their credit card. The self serve method is cost efficient because of low labor costs and fun and interactive for customers. Come up with your own spin to keep up with trends and set your shop apart from competition.
- Ensure your business location is in a comfortable, easily accessible, and with space for parking. Picture the capabilities of your location prior to purchase. You’ll want a family friendly hangout type of location. Can you see a family sitting and enjoying your frozen yogurt?
- Make sure there is a good amount of foot traffic. Visibility is an important factor in attracting new customers.
- Other eateries nearby is a huge bonus. After people finish their meal, they have the added option of stopping by your business for an after-meal treat.
- Malls are a good option but not always. Peak yogurt hours go into the evening. If the mall is closed then you would be missing out on some critical business.
- Another great plus for your location is an outdoor seating option.
In order to differentiate your shop from the fads of the past is to stay contemporary. A great way to do this is to put some thought into the design and decor of your shop. Keep it modern with a clean presentation. A big appeal of the resurgence of frozen yogurt was the health angle. Keeping your shop looking as fresh and healthy as your yogurt is important in perpetuating this image. Take a look at some of the most successful frozen yogurt chains; RedMango, Menchie’s and Pinkberry. Some similarities in decor include clean lines with vibrant accents when it comes to furniture and counters, comfortable lounge area with plasma tv’s, technology displaying the animated menus, and a tablet reader for the company’s loyalty program. Need help updating your location or figuring out integrated tablet loyalty? Check out Cafe Cartel for more information.
Product and Equipment:
Putting some thought into your product and equipment choices can save you a lot of cash in the long run.
- Giving your customers options when it comes to flavors is important. Most successful frozen yogurt establishments have about 8 and 16 flavors of low fat, non-fat, and tart flavors.
- Keep in with the fresh and healthy message of your shop. Cycle in a variety of berries and exotic fresh cut real-fruits to go alongside your cookie and candy toppings
- One huge mistake that some frozen yogurt shops make is mushy fruit in pans. This is potentially a big turnoff for your customers. Make sure that the cut up fruit is thrown away and replaced long before it has a chance to scare away your customers.
- When purchasing your machines make sure that they are properly ventilated, if not they will ‘under-perform’ and not last as long as intended.
- Buying too big or too much machinery can put you in a hole when it comes to utilities. Find out the capabilities that your operation needs and accommodate that, don’t waste your capital in areas that don’t need it.
- Make sure that you keep diligent track of your frozen yogurt inventory. Doing this guards against employee theft and aids security management. A way to do this is getting frozen yogurt inventory management software. Find out more with Cafe Cartel Systems frozen yogurt point of sale system. Cafe Cartel has experience and knowledge of the frozen yogurt industry which means that your point of sale software will be tailored to you needs as a frozen yogurt shop owner.